Monday, July 21, 2008

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman
By Brian Jacques

Many of you may have read books in the Redwall Series by world reknowned author Brian Jacques (prnounced Jayks). I know that many a time that I went to grab a Redwall book I would see his other series there too. They are Flying Dutchman stories and I have finally read the first book in the series.

STYLE:4/5
As usually Mr. Jacques out did himself with his narrative. He paints feelings into your heart and has a wide range of emotions on his pallate. His use of phonetic representation of accents is genius. And his spacing is good, allowing lots of breathing room as a reader while not being stale or boring.

PLOT:4/5
The plot was great. It was just such a creative idea and then to incorportate the various characters and time periods made it all the more memorible. As for the genral plot line, it does seem to progress very fast at the beginning, skipping several centuries that would have been nice to have seen, even if it was just snap shots. But I do realize the space was limited. The plot slows down as it enters the English town but picks up again in an unexpected rollercoaster ride of emotions and characters.

CONTENT:5/5
Glad to say that the content was very well done. For a secular writer, Mr. Jacques writes like a true Anglican and this is more true for these real life stories than for Redwall. There is that very British emphasis placed on the idea that church is something that is found in vibrant, healthy towns as a part ofteh towns rich history.

Overall, a very good book. I recommend it, giving it 4/5 stars.
Until tomorrow.
JdeM

2 comments:

  1. OK, what does JdeM stand for??

    Good review. I'll look into that book. I've read some Redwall, but I was pretty young so I don't quite remember them.

    until next time,
    ~Paige~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! Funny you should mention the missing time because in his second book he actually goes back and fills some of that in (I'll bring it next time I see you)! So yeah, the second one is my all time fav! :)

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete