Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Cruel Anvil

The Cruel Anvil

O how the anvil weighs down,
Its chains around Cupid’s target
But no Eros here can abound
For fear of the eyes that mark it

The heart wails of the tear deep
As bright red life spills free
What caused this rent in nightless sleep?
What has broken so utterly?

Words of the soul and whispers dark
No voice ever to be found
Secrets hid deep in the heart
There wordlessly, eternally bound

The anvil heavy, the secret kept
What ask you me for its name
My lips have vowed, my eyes wept
Never spoken it shall remain

Press me not, do not inquire
I shall not consent, will not reveal
This leaden anvil, Orphian desire
Ask no more, for lies my soul kill

O Venus cruel and ever vexing
O Cupid why torment me night and day?
O Muses guard my lips’ stretching
May my meaning not fly away.

2 comments: