Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Careful Road

This is a piece I did for a class a while back. The idea was to start and end a short story the same way. So I started and ended it with the same word but in different context. Warning, get's painfully awkward but I think its a pretty realistic depiction of the ups and downs of so many relationships. Enjoy. 



"Careful!!!"

"Geez! You trying to give me a heart attack?!"

"Me? You're the one driving like a maniac."

"I'm not even going five miles over the speed limit. Calm down, Maralyn."

"I'll calm down when you slow down."

"Everyone's going this speed!"

"I don't care what everyone else is doing. Jackson, you better slow down or so help me! And its raining! Everyone knows you're suppose to slow down in the rain."

"But then we'll be late."

"My mother will understand."

"Yeah, right, I'm sure she will."

"...."

"...."

".... You're still not slowly down. Why are you so impatient?"

"The rain's coming down harder."

"So slow down! God! Why do you always have to be like this! I mean first the coat, now this!"

"Hey! Don't start with your coat again! I'm sick and tired of that stupid, red thing!"

"It would only have taken me a second to find it...."

"But we were running late! Why couldn't you take the other one? Why do you always have to have everything your way! Sometimes I get so, so... argh!"

"So...? So, what? What were you going to say?"

"Nothing."

"Don't you dare do this."

"Do what?"



"Play dumb! Act like you don't know! Shut me out again!"

"I don't kn–"

"Don't! Just stop! Look at me."

"I can't..."

"Can't?"

"I'm driving. It's raining. Remember."

"You never look at me anymore."

"I already looked at you. There. I just did! You happy? I thought you were the one who cared so much about being safe!"

"Not like that. You know what I mean..."

"Fine!"

"What are you doing?"

"Pulling over! You want me to look at you then I will!"

"...."

"...."

"I'm sorry. I know. I know. I'm just like her. I mean I try not to. I do. But I end up just like my mother. A complete control freak."

"Yeah, you do."

"Don't laugh! I'm being serious!"

"I know. I'm sorry too..."

"Sorry about me being this way or sorry you were such a jerk?"

"God! You're doing it again! For five seconds could you just stop!"

"What were you gonna say?"

"I'm sorry okay, sorry about everything. About work and not 'looking at you like I used to, and even that we haven't... you know..."

"What?! You think this is about that?!"

"Well, it has been a while..."

"Yeah.... I know... I'm sorry too..."

"What happened?"

"What? You mean today?"

"No. With us. Where did we go wrong? Is it even working?"

"I don't... know anymore."

"I don't either."

"But what I do know is... I've missed you."

"I've missed you too. That's why I was looking for my stupid red coat. Because I wanted you to look at me like that again. To think I was beautiful again... like you used to."

"Hey! Don't talk like that. You. You are the most beautiful woman I've ever met. I fell in love with you at first sight..."

"Stop! Now you're just saying that!"

"No... it's true. Come here. I really have missed you."

"Pookie-bear! Not here!"

"Hmmmm, why not?"

"What about my mother?"

"She'll understand."

"You know how she gets. Better be careful."


No comments:

Post a Comment